Here I am listing things I have found to help out those who are currently going without pay due to the current government shutdown. I will try to keep this updated and organized. If you have any sources for help that are not listed here, please send them to Chris@dashofscience.com and I will add them to the list.
Most financial institutions are also offering fee reversal, and skip payment options, so please be sure to call your bank and ask for options.
Please feel free to share this link (I do not run ads on my page, so there is no revenue, just a federal employee trying to help others)
- Federal Employee Education & Assistance Fund $100 Grants for Furloughed Feds – TEMPORARILY SUSPENDED UNTIL ADDITIONAL FUNDS BECOME AVAILABLE 1/19/19
0% Interest Loans
- Paypal Credit $250-$500 0% interest Cash Advance for new and existing customers.
- USAA offers special shutdown loans for Coast Guard, Coast Guard Reserve, National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Crop, and the Public Health Service Corps and spouses with accounts.
- NASA GSFC/HQ:NASA Federal Credit Union Furlough Relief Loan offers access to $10,000 for 60 month term interest free and payment free for 60 days
- NASA JSC:JSC Federal Credit Union Furlough Loan Program $6,000 0% APR, per missed pay period.
- NASA KSC:Launch Federal Credit Union 0% loan for members, $3,000 at 0% for 12 months
- NASA KSC: Space Coast Credit Union 0% loan up to 1 month of net pay for 12 months.
- NASA LaRC:Langley Federal Credit Union Short term 0% interest personal loans
Low Interest Loans
- NASA ARC: Meriwest Credit Union Emergency Loan $5,000 5% fixed APR 36 months
- NASA ARC: Menlo Survey Federal Credit Union Emergency Loan $2,500 per missed check 2.5% APR 12 months. Interest waived if repaid within 60 days of government reopening.
- NASA ARC: Provident Credit Union members eligible for loan at 6% for up to 24 months
- NASA AFRC: Edwards Federal Credit Union up to $5,000 at 2% for 12 months
- NASA AFRC: Logix Federal Credit Union Emergency Unsecured loan up to $5,000 for 12 months. APR dependent on credit prior to shutdown.
- NASA GRC:Century Federal Credit Union – current members eligible for $10,000 loan at reduced interest rate of 3%, and Credit Card limit increases up to $10,000 at no increased interest.
- NASA MSFC: Redstone Federal Credit Union, $5,000 or monthly net, whichever is less for up to 12 months at 2% APR
Letters, Notice of Furlough
- 17Jan2019 Rep. T.J. Cox introduced the Immediate Financial Relief for Federal Employees Act, which if passed will require the Treasury Department to issue loans to furloughed federal workers with no accrued interest. More than 80 lawmakers have co-sponsored.
- 10Jan2019 Sen. Martha McSally has sponsored legislation S.111 to provide continuing appropriations for employees of the department of Homeland Security and Justice in the event of shutdowns. Currently has 18 co-sponsors. Joint resolution introduced to house by Rep. Nina Lowey which as been passed and sent to the Senate floor.
- Bipartisan efforts by both House and Senate have reintroduced legislation called the Government Employee Fair Treatment Act, which will guarantee retroactive pay for federal employees at the soonest date possible – regardless of scheduled pay dates. This bill has passed and been signed into law by President Donald Trump as of 16Jan2019.